The beginning of a new year is a great time to take stock of your work life. Did everything going the way you wanted it in 2013? Were you happy or unhappy at work? What would you like to change?
Unfortunately, most people look back and think almost exclusively in terms of what went wrong. The things they should have done. They goals they ought to have achieved. The progress that didn’t come.
We think you can achieve much more by turning that around 180 degrees, so here’s our suggestion for a little new year’s exercise in happiness at work.
Think back at your work life in 2013 and answer the following 10 questions. It works best, if you take some time to do it and if you write down the answers.
- What went really well for you at work in 2013?
- What did you do that you were proud of?
- Who did you make a difference for at work?
- What new things have you learned professionally?
- How have you grown and developed personally at work?
- Who has helped you out at work in 2013?
- Who have you admired professionally?
- Which 5 things from your work life in 2013 would you like more of in 2014?
- Which 5 things from your work life in 2013 would you like less of in 2014?
- What will you specifically do to become happier at work in 2014?
Enjoy – and I wish you a very happy new year at work!